One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.
antitoxin, antiserumView synonyms
- ‘But there is an effective antivenin available for the treatment of this scorpion's stings, and there hasn't been a fatality in Arizona in over 40 years.’
- ‘The park's venom-milking program is the only supplier of venom to Melbourne's Commonwealth Serum Laboratories - makers of antivenins crucial to treating snakebite victims.’
- ‘There is a huge demand for venom, which is used to produce antivenin, the only known cure for the effects of snake venom.’
- ‘Their venom is fundamentally similar and therefore antivenin can be applied across the board.’
- ‘Also, I tell people to find out if their local zoo has antivenin.’
- ‘Hammock says he started analyzing this toxin in hopes of furthering the development of antivenins.’
- ‘The antivenin, which has saved dozens of lives in the past two decades, is made possible in large part by the tireless work of spider experts at the Australian Reptile Park in Somersby, north of Sydney.’
- ‘But after treatment with antivenin and a short stay in the hospital, Ryan recovered with no ill effects.’
- ‘Thanks to the widespread availability of effective antivenins, snakebite fatalities in Australia have become rare in recent decades.’
- ‘Poultry eggs may yield snake antivenin, experts say.’
- ‘In New Guinea, where we don't have much antivenin, the death rate remains something like 50-50.’
- ‘Would the antivenin arrive in time to save the dog from dying from the bite?’
- ‘Many venomous snakes in Iran are being collected for the production of antivenin.’
- ‘Unlike antivenin produced in horses or sheep, antitoxin produced in poultry does not involve as much discomfort for the animals.’
- ‘Equine-derived antivenin to snake venom has been the mainstay of hospital treatment for venomous snakebite for 35 years.’
- ‘There is treatment for a black widow spider bite that can take care of the symptoms but black widow spider antivenin is seldom necessary, the centre says.’
- ‘Although the mainstay of treatment is definitely antivenin, in district settings where the antivenin is not readily available steroids are helpful.’
- ‘The Irula Snake Catchers' Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd. have now been licenced to extract venom, supply it to various institutions for preparing antivenin or anti-snake venom serum, and research.’
- ‘But by showtime, one of the assistants, Britt Stevens of Brownwood, was en route to the hospital for antivenin.’
- ‘A popular scale for grading the severity of pit viper bites and estimating the antivenin dose is presented in Table 4.’
Late 19th century: from anti- + ven(om) + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.