One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of legislation, chiefly in the US) preventing or controlling trusts or other monopolies, and so promoting fair competition in business.
- ‘What is at first glance surprising is that so few mergers and acquisitions of banks have fallen into the antitrust net.’
- ‘We have established social legislation like welfare programs, antitrust laws, and a social security system.’
- ‘Congress tried to help the farm sector by exempting it from federal antitrust law.’
- ‘That, the plaintiffs maintain, is discriminatory, unfair and contrary to US antitrust law.’
- ‘Agribusiness mergers often don't create a big enough share of a market to trigger antitrust laws.’
- ‘Here we take a look at the history of antitrust laws and examine some of the arguments against them.’
- ‘Tom and I agree that the ultimate purpose of the antitrust laws is to help consumers.’
- ‘He's no radical, but at least he talks about raising income and enforcing antitrust.’
- ‘The debate is similar to that surrounding the application of the rule of reason in American antitrust law which is referred to at the end of this chapter.’
- ‘This was the first inter-state trust, which stimulated antitrust legislation.’
- ‘They enforced the then recent antitrust legislation which had been allowed to lay idle.’
- ‘The strength of this approach comes from the regulator being pro-active with an ongoing monopoly or antitrust policy.’
- ‘But antitrust law focuses on the power of sellers and potential injury to consumers.’
- ‘Initially, the antitrust law provisions were inserted into the Treaty in view of their role in the process of market integration.’
- ‘Harl, who is both an economist and a lawyer, understands antitrust laws and issues very well.’
- ‘Because of those antitrust laws we can't just pick a price for all architects to follow and stick to it.’
- ‘It's one of the major pleasures of having an exemption from the nation's antitrust laws.’
- ‘The hour is late, but Congress may toughen antitrust and fair trade laws if you speak out’
- ‘The Act provides dairy producers who join together a specific exemption from antitrust laws.’
- ‘Nor did the court suggest that antitrust laws did not apply.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.