Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An antibody that counteracts a toxin.
antitoxin, antiserumView synonyms
- ‘The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and some state health departments keep a supply of antitoxin against botulinum toxin.’
- ‘Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.’
- ‘Antivenoms and antitoxins can also be administered in this fashion.’
- ‘For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.’
- ‘Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.