One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibody that counteracts a toxin.
- ‘For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.’
- ‘Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.’
- ‘The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and some state health departments keep a supply of antitoxin against botulinum toxin.’
- ‘Antivenoms and antitoxins can also be administered in this fashion.’
- ‘Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.