Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An antibody that counteracts a toxin.
antitoxin, antiserumView synonyms
- ‘For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.’
- ‘Antivenoms and antitoxins can also be administered in this fashion.’
- ‘The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and some state health departments keep a supply of antitoxin against botulinum toxin.’
- ‘Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.’
- ‘Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.