One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of a drug) used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle.
- ‘The causes include antispasmodic drugs, continence surgery, obstruction, psychosis, and neurological or inflammatory conditions.’
- ‘These oils are also antispasmodic, meaning that they relax intestinal muscle spasms, another cause of indigestion.’
- ‘Alternatively, antispasmodic drugs and motility stimulants may be prescribed.’
- ‘The antispasmodic muscle relaxants are especially effective for individuals with multiple spasms, especially back spasms.’
- ‘Native Americans have long used cramp bark, an aptly named antispasmodic herb, to relieve menstrual cramps.’
An antispasmodic drug.
- ‘Butterbur's use as an antispasmodic for gastrointestinal conditions dates back to the Middle Ages.’
- ‘Herbal antispasmodics such as Jamaican dogwood, cramp bark and catnip can be used for relaxing muscle tension and spasms.’
- ‘When the physiology of asthma was better understood, antispasmodics were given on a continuous basis to attempt to lower airway tone.’
- ‘Rub a bit of peppermint oil directly onto your forehead; it acts as an antispasmodic.’
- ‘Besides its blood tonic properties, peony root is also an antispasmodic that promotes blood circulation by relieving blockage and tension of the organs and various internal and superficial areas of the body.’
- ‘Wild yam is known as an anti-inflammatory, a pain reliever and an antispasmodic, which relieves muscle spasms.’
- ‘First it is one of the most powerful of all the herbal antispasmodics especially useful for relieving nervous tension throughout the mind and body.’
- ‘Despite the above medication, if abdominal pain persists, antispasmodics and relevant painkillers will help.’
- ‘In patients with symptoms that are difficult to control a trial of an antispasmodic or antidepressant may be useful, but specialist referral to confirm the diagnosis and exclude rare causes of dyspepsia should first be considered.’
- ‘As an anti-arthritis and antispasmodic, it has wind dispelling properties.’
- ‘With its antispasmodic, antibacterial and antiviral qualities, licorice is an excellent herbal remedy for both wet and dry coughs.’
- ‘Chamomile is also a good antispasmodic and pain-relieving herb.’
- ‘It is effective as an antispasmodic for muscle cramps, stiffness, aches, overuse, sprains, bruises, sciatica, rheumatism, gout, neuralgia and poor circulation.’
- ‘This botanical supplement is helpful for anxiety, and it can be used as a sedative, hypnotic and antispasmodic.’
- ‘An antispasmodic and a proton pump inhibitor didn't help either.’
- ‘It may be easiest to categorize tree and shrub medicines according to their medicinal therapeutic qualities: astringent, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and antitussive.’
- ‘Plants with anti-inflammatory action may also act as antispasmodics.’
- ‘The menthol oil in mint contains cooling and warming effects and has long been valued as a digestive aid, antispasmodic, and decongestant.’
- ‘The drug was manufactured in the United Kingdom and licensed as an antispasmodic; it was quite inexpensive.’
- ‘This remarkable Mediterranean herb is antiseptic, antispasmodic, and antibiotic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.