One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blood serum containing antibodies against specific antigens, injected to treat or protect against specific diseases.
remedy, curative, medicine, medication, medicament, restorative, corrective, antidoteView synonyms
- ‘In addition, a program to develop countermeasures including vaccines, antisera, and therapeutic agents to protect troops from possible biological attack was begun in 1953.’
- ‘Newborn babies at risk of severe chickenpox can also be given antiserum (serum containing antibodies).’
- ‘Serotyping was done by the set of type specific antisera.’
- ‘The specificity of the antisera obtained was quite satisfactory.’
- ‘Obtaining antisera against two immunologically distinct red cell antigens, he found these present in some mouse strains and absent from others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.