One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blood serum containing antibodies against specific antigens, injected to treat or protect against specific diseases.
remedy, curative, medicine, medication, medicament, restorative, corrective, antidoteView synonyms
- ‘Newborn babies at risk of severe chickenpox can also be given antiserum (serum containing antibodies).’
- ‘In addition, a program to develop countermeasures including vaccines, antisera, and therapeutic agents to protect troops from possible biological attack was begun in 1953.’
- ‘Obtaining antisera against two immunologically distinct red cell antigens, he found these present in some mouse strains and absent from others.’
- ‘The specificity of the antisera obtained was quite satisfactory.’
- ‘Serotyping was done by the set of type specific antisera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.