Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of using antiseptics to eliminate the microorganisms that cause disease.Compare with asepsis
- ‘Semmelweis, for instance, is associated with 1847, the year when he introduced antisepsis by chlorine washings to prevent puerperal fever.’
- ‘Policies for general hand hygiene and surgical hand antisepsis should be established in conjunction with infection control practitioners and meet the particular needs of the practice setting.’
- ‘In addition to assessing participants' tolerance of the two protocols and compliance with hand antisepsis, surgical site infection rates were calculated 30 days after the procedures.’
- ‘Traditional surgical hand antisepsis has involved using a brush, water, and antimicrobial soap.’
- ‘If an alcohol-based, hand rub product is chosen for surgical hand antisepsis, the hands and arms should be prewashed and dried before application of the hand rub product because alcohol-based hand rub products do not remove soil.’
- ‘Candidate antisepsis therapies have included agents that target host cell activation, mediators of the inflammatory response, agents that boost the immune response, and prostaglandin inhibitors.’
- ‘Persistent antimicrobial activity, measured in hours, helps decrease rebound microbial growth after surgical hand antisepsis.’
- ‘Surgical hand antisepsis with an antimicrobial soap or an alcohol-based hand rub with persistent activity is recommended before donning sterile gloves.’
- ‘Surgical hand antisepsis / hand rub with an FDA-compliant, alcohol-based surgical hand rub product should follow a standardized application according to the manufacturer's written directions for use.’
- ‘Use of antimicrobial soaps and lengthy scrubs required by presurgical hand antisepsis protocols may put perioperative nurses at high risk of developing hand irritation.’
- ‘The Viennese have contributed medical innovations such as antisepsis and new therapies such as psychoanalysis to the world.’
- ‘The Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee provides an in-depth review and guideline for hand antisepsis in healthcare settings.’
- ‘Wooden operating theaters were created to accommodate hordes of students who learned by watching professors perform surgery, and Joseph Lister's ideas about antisepsis added to the importance of these arenas.’
- ‘The overwhelming message was the need to teach and practice familiar prevention strategies, including asepsis, antisepsis, adjunctive measures, and appropriate antibiotic prophylaxis.’
- ‘Levels of cleaning can be divided into the following categories: sterilization, disinfection, cleaning and antisepsis.’
- ‘Although this study found an increase in hand antisepsis initially, it is unknown if compliance with hand antisepsis will continue.’
- ‘The term surgical hand antisepsis refers to the antiseptic surgical scrub or antiseptic hand rub performed before donning sterile attire preoperatively.’
- ‘The most important progress in the surgical management of patients during the past 100 years has resulted from non-operative components of surgical care: anaesthesia, antisepsis, and asepsis.’
- ‘These agents were suggested and used by health care workers in areas where soap and water were not readily available and patient contact was frequent, necessitating hand antisepsis between patients.’
- ‘In the field of medicine, physicians were familiar with Louis Pasteur's germ theory and knew of Joseph Lister's discoveries in the fields of bacteriology and antisepsis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.