One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of a drug) used to relieve itching.
- ‘Topical application of doxepin provides significant antipruritic activity with a favorable safety profile, suggesting a role for doxepin cream in the symptomatic treatment of pruritus associated with eczematous dermatitis.’
- ‘The patient was treated with topical clobetasol cream and antipruritic agents, and the eruption resolved without sequelae within approximately 7 days after onset.’
- ‘The sedation is an important feature of their antipruritic action.’
- ‘Several studies have shown that the serotonergic effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors consistently produces the strongest antipruritic response in patients with neurotic excoriations.’
- ‘An antihistamine such as hydroxyzine hydrochloride taken before bedtime is often quite helpful because it provides both antipruritic and sedative effects.’
- ‘Diphenhydramine, in a dosage of 25 to 50 mg three or four times daily, or hydroxyzine hydrochloride, in a dosage of 25 mg three or four times daily, provides an antipruritic effect.’
- ‘A retrospective evaluation of the financial impact of ketorolac in hospital inpatients showed that it was associated with reduced lengths of stay and reduced use of narcotic, antipruritic, and antiemetic drugs.’
- ‘Moreover, the profound antipruritic effect of this drug is an added benefit.’
- ‘These compounds have anti-inflammatory, antipruritic and vasoconstrictive properties.’
- ‘When a robust take is suspected, management includes observation, patient education, and supportive care that includes resting the affected limb and using oral nonaspirin analgesic medications and oral antipruritic agents.’
- ‘Clinical trials of new antipruritic agents are in progress.’
- ‘This itching cannot be fully suppressed by conventional antipruritic agents such as antihistamines, and development of effective drugs has long been awaited.’
- ‘In prurigo nodularis, pruritus is the main symptom and it is of immediate importance to find an effective antipruritic therapy.’
- ‘Generally, antipruritic conditioners provide longer duration of effect and allow the use of an antimicrobial shampoo to help prevent cutaneous infections.’
- ‘The same dosage schedule may be followed for both antipruritic and antitussive therapy.’
An antipruritic drug.
- ‘Symptomatic relief of erythema infectiosum may be provided using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antihistamines, and topical antipruritics.’
- ‘Topical antipruritics are preferred over systemic agents (such as oral antihistamines) when smaller surface areas of skin are affected and pruritus is not intractable.’
- ‘This method may act as a simple and robust screening procedure when evaluating potential antipruritics and allow a comparison among products.’
- ‘They are used in various cream or lotion preparations as antipruritics.’
- ‘Antipruritics such as menthol or camphor can be added to the corticosteroid base.’
- ‘In another aspect of the invention additional active components of the topical composition are disclosed such as anesthetics, antipruritics and antihistamines.’
- ‘Eczema herpeticum is treated with oral antiviral medications, tap water and/or aluminum acetate compresses 2 or 3 times a day, and oral antipruritics.’
- ‘This has been completed and two drugs, nalmefene and ketorolac have been studied as antipruritics.’
- ‘Ointments or creams are applied to reduce infection and antipruritics can also be used to reduce irritation’
- ‘In a few persons, pruritis persisted several days; those patients were treated with antipruritics.’
Late 19th century: from anti- + pruritic (see pruritus).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.