One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A novel in which the conventions and traditions of the genre are studiously avoided.
- ‘1928 Aleksandar Vuco publishes the novel Koren vida (The Root of Vision), and Marko Ristic his antinovel Bez mere.’
- ‘But, unlike Sterne and Joyce, and even the French antinovels of the 1960's, this lacks a real narrative.’
- ‘Stone recognizes that the antinovels lack basic elements, ‘… they are similarly without characters, plots, beginnings, or endings.’’
- ‘And one of its vigorous genres is precisely the antinovel.’
- ‘The nouveau roman or new novel, sometimes called the antinovel, dispensed with previous notions of plot, character, style, theme, psychology, chronology, and message.’
- ‘The exemplary works of artistic autonomy were, for Adorno, the ‘experimental’ works of modernism, especially the music of Arnold Schoenberg and in literature the antinovels of Samuel Beckett.’
- ‘Given that this particular antinovel is also an exploration of the chaotic subconscious of two schizophrenics, its sensate sex-and-violence imagery becomes doubly significant: a stream of subconsciousness that describes waking dreams while feeling like one.’
- ‘It's novel and antinovel, locked in carnal embrace, and fighting it out for the earthly vehicle of the author.’
- ‘Speedboat blurred traditional narrative and character development with the authority of a French antinovel.’
- ‘The antinovel was invented by the French.’
- ‘The antinovel usually fragments and distorts the experience of its characters, forcing the reader to construct the reality of the story from a disordered narrative.’
- ‘Characteristics of Post-Modernism: reaction against an ordered view of the world eclectic writing style, often using parody development of such concepts as the absurd, the anti-hero, antinovel, magic realism, proliferation of critical theories such as deconstructionism’
- ‘In this regard, he treats the history and nature of parody, antinovels, pastiches, caricatures, commentary, allusion, imitations, and other textual relations.’
- ‘But Rowson's Tristram Shandy is an antinovel not about WRITING but about READING Sterne's Tristram Shandy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.