Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The position of maximum displacement in a standing wave system.
- ‘If two of the three indices are zero, then the pressure antinodes of the associated mode form planes.’
- ‘As the speaker volume increases, the difference between nodes and antinodes becomes easier to hear.’
- ‘Very similar to a coffee cup, whose nodes and antinodes are determined by the location of the handle.’
- ‘However, keep in mind that the third transverse mode also has an antinode at the center of the bar.’
- ‘A region where the variation of a quantity has a relative maximum is called an antinode of that quantity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.