Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that interferes with the normal metabolic processes within cells, typically by combining with enzymes.
- ‘Clofarabine, a type of drug called a purine nucleoside antimetabolite, works by blocking the production and repair of DNA, the building blocks of genes.’
- ‘With the latter therapy, once patients are weaned from steroids, the purine antimetabolite is continued for an indefinite period while the physician monitors white blood cell count and liver enzymes.’
- ‘The class of anticancer drugs that has been developed to interfere with aspects of nucleotide metabolism is known as the antimetabolites.’
- ‘Most forms of gout can be treated by administering the antimetabolite, allopurinol.’
- ‘Methotrexate is an antimetabolite that, apart from its use in malignant disorders, is taken orally in low doses for the control of conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.