One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Matter consisting of elementary particles which are the antiparticles of those making up normal matter.
- ‘There is both matter (such as electrons) and oppositely charged antimatter (such as positrons).’
- ‘Why is the universe made of matter and not equal parts of matter and antimatter?’
- ‘If matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other.’
- ‘The answer to your question is, thus, clearly yes: matter would be created when antimatter particles collide at high energy.’
- ‘Paul Dirac predicted the existence of antimatter with his relativistic wave equation in 1928.’
- ‘In the enormous densities of the early moments of the Big Bang the result would have been a catastrophic annihilation of matter and antimatter into radiation.’
- ‘The definition of matter and antimatter is purely conventional.’
- ‘Theory suggests that, at the moment the universe was created, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were formed.’
- ‘Mirror matter is not antimatter, it is altogether weirder.’
- ‘This brief survey of recent Lorentz tests only lists those experiments involving light, ordinary matter, and antimatter.’
- ‘He also predicted the existence of antimatter (specifically the antiparticle of the electron) that was later discovered in nature.’
- ‘What is CP violation and how does it explain the fact that matter outnumbers antimatter in the universe?’
- ‘He saw how magnetic traps could make antimatter useful in medicine, principally in tumor treatment.’
- ‘Matter and antimatter just don't mix, so it's surprising that you can probe one with the other.’
- ‘Those equations and present particle physics say that matter and antimatter are equivalent.’
- ‘When particles of matter and particles of antimatter collide, large amounts of energy are produced as a by-product.’
- ‘Much like matter and antimatter the two objects would be almost instantly converted to pure energy, generating a massive explosion.’
- ‘Various propulsion schemes have been proposed, from nuclear fusion to antimatter to laser sails.’
- ‘What everyone actually needs here is a more efficient mobile power source, whether it be cold fusion, lithium air or a matter / antimatter reactor.’
- ‘You wouldn't be able to tell by looking whether the black hole was originally formed by matter, antimatter or green cheese.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.