Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drug or other compound that inhibits the physiological effects of histamine, used especially in the treatment of allergies.[as modifier] ‘an antihistamine injection’
- ‘The antihistamine drug also gets into your bloodstream and travels through the blood to your brain.’
- ‘The antihistamine effects on performance have previously been measured in an actual driving test in normal traffic.’
- ‘Hay fever or some old fashioned antihistamine treatments with side effect drowsiness can generally impede your life style.’
- ‘Research has shown that cold and allergy medications such as antihistamines and decongestants are not helpful in preventing them.’
- ‘You can also take antihistamine tablets containing drugs such as cyclizine or cinnarizine to prevent travel or motion sickness.’
- ‘Symptoms disappeared and antihistamine medication was discontinued on day 4 of the treatment diet.’
- ‘Allergic rhinitis is treated with antihistamine drugs or local steroid sprays.’
- ‘In addition, the placebo effect is even higher when the placebo has some antihistamine effect (similar to the influence of the antidepressant on histamine receptors).’
- ‘If you are vomiting a lot, the antihistamine medicine, promethazine, may help.’
- ‘He or she may recommend additional treatment, such as antihistamines or antibiotics.’
- ‘Such drugs as antihistamines and tricyclic antidepressants likely exaggerate this proarrhythmic potential.’
- ‘Further treatment is symptomatic and may include topical corticosteroids, oral antihistamines, and oral steroids.’
- ‘Effective treatments include antihistamine medicines, in the form of tablet or liquid, inhalers, nasal spays and also eye drops.’
- ‘Your doctor might have you use antihistamine pills, a steroid cream, calamine lotion, or zinc oxide cream.’
- ‘When avoidance isn't possible, antihistamine medications may be prescribed to block the release of histamine in the body.’
- ‘If this is not helpful, your doctor may prescribe stronger steroids or antihistamine pills.’
- ‘These agents may also be added to antihistamine therapy.’
- ‘Your doctor also might prescribe a non-drowsy oral antihistamine or antihistamine eye drops.’
- ‘Taking antihistamine tablets may also help reduce itching - ask your pharmacist for advice.’
- ‘Transfusion should be interrupted until symptomatic relief is achieved following antihistamine administration.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.