Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for epitope
- ‘These investigators found that the specific IgE binding to a new antigenic determinant of TDI-human serum albumin conjugate can be heterogeneous and can differ between one individual and another.’
- ‘At least six intestinal hydrolases have ABO blood group antigenic determinants directly related to ABO blood group.’
- ‘One of the most clinically important classes of sphingolipids are those that confer antigenic determinants on the surfaces of cells, particularly the erythrocytes.’
- ‘Polyclonal antibodies raised against recombinant SC24 cross-reacted with the seed coat peroxidase enzyme, suggesting that these two proteins may share an antigenic determinant.’
- ‘It is possible that the animal anti-IF antisera detect different plant proteins with similar antigenic determinants.’
- ‘Antigen mimicry is likely involved, whereby one or more antigenic determinants on an HHV-6 protein may cross-react with a myelin determinant.’
- ‘Most of these antibodies are directed against antigenic determinants on the constant portion of the murine immunoglobulin molecule.’
- ‘Thus the invention is the chemical comprising at least 10 amino acids in which there is an antigenic determinant to which an antibody to HCV will bind.’
- ‘Microorganisms of the same species may differ in the antigenic determinants expressed on the cell surface.’
- ‘The epitopes or antigenic determinants on the cell's surface are collectively referred to as cluster designations or CD binding sites.’
- ‘Glycosphingolipids can act as antigenic determinants and mediators of immune responses as well as surface receptors for hormones, bacterial toxins, lectins, and other biomolecules.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the antigenic determinants of cephalosporin allergy have not been similarly elaborated, and neither skin testing nor IgE antibody assays for cephalosporin allergy are clinically available.’
- ‘It may work by causing a negative feedback mechanism or by blocking RhD antigenic determinants on the red cell membrane, among other postulated mechanisms.’
- ‘Immunological studies show that ADH molecules from different mammalian species share common antigenic determinants and that common structures have been preserved over a long evolutionary period.’
- ‘Formalin fixation before embedding was less than 30 hours throughout, which is important for preserving the antigenic determinants analyzed in this study.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.