Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A liquid, typically one based on ethylene glycol, which can be added to water to lower the freezing point, chiefly used in the radiator of a motor vehicle.‘most breakdowns were due to people forgetting to put antifreeze in their radiators’count noun ‘formulating antifreezes and de-icers for railways is no easy job’
- ‘Another common practice is the addition of automotive antifreeze to toilets and sink traps.’
- ‘Are your headlights clean and plenty of water with antifreeze in your washer bottle?’
- ‘The key is polyethylene glycol, a liquid polymer similar to antifreeze.’
- ‘Cars have used such a device for many years, with your radiator cooling the liquid, usually with a combination of antifreeze and water to keep the engine cool.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
- ‘Use the time to go get a jug of water or antifreeze.’
- ‘Experts identified the mould as being antifreeze and de-icer from the base's runway.’
- ‘Such large quantities mean that airports cannot simply release antifreeze with storm water into nearby rivers and streams.’
- ‘Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.’
- ‘Three empty five-gallon plastic drums containing residues of oil and antifreeze were abandoned nearby.’
- ‘This helpful tank holds up to 5 gallons and allows you to flush water out and pump antifreeze into the system - even while trailered.’
- ‘After changing antifreeze and motor oil, take them to your local garage for recycling.’
- ‘Addition of water to ethylene oxide generates ethylene glycol used in antifreeze and the formation of polyester fibers.’
- ‘Pesticide products in pressurized cylinders, oil, antifreeze, tires, paints, varnishes, thinners, cleaners and solvents will not be accepted.’
- ‘A mixture of four parts water and one part antifreeze with a few drops of liquid soap should be placed in each cut out milk jug.’
- ‘Cooling is by glycol, the same material in car antifreeze, refrigerated in another area of the brewery and circulated around containers as needed.’
- ‘In doing the cooling, one thing that a rider must not forget is the use of motorcycle antifreeze.’
- ‘Half an hour later, the radiator was filled with water and antifreeze, and snow had been cleared away from the wheels.’
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘Ironically, the freezing point of straight antifreeze is lower than antifreeze and water.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.