One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A weather system with high barometric pressure at its centre, around which air slowly circulates in a clockwise (northern hemisphere) or anticlockwise (southern hemisphere) direction. Anticyclones are associated with calm, fine weather.
- ‘In polar and sub-tropical regions there are large semi permanent anticyclones (high-pressure areas).’
- ‘This anticyclone will dominate the weather scene for the following few days.’
- ‘The advancing anticyclone is centred between 35 and 40 degrees South.’
- ‘Stratocumulus is usually a sign of old fronts and is also associated with static anticyclones.’
- ‘A similar weather system occurred at the start of the anticyclone last week and as well as acting as a cooling agent it was a joy to watch.’
- ‘The anticyclones are spinning in different directions, such that they keep a delicate balance with one another.’
- ‘During this period favoured locations for centres of anticyclones are the Great Victoria Desert and central New South Wales.’
- ‘The low pressure area departed during Thursday as a new anticyclone reached and passed the Cape.’
- ‘Weakening and reduction in the regular size of the Polar anticyclone and its east-wind outflow should cause the temperate low pressure belt to find a zone of activity closer to the polar zones than at present.’
- ‘All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.’
- ‘Winter anticyclones usually build westwards from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.’
- ‘In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.’
- ‘The South African Weather Service told The Star on Monday that the heat is due to an anticyclone or high pressure system in the upper air.’
- ‘The resident anticyclone continues in its fixed abode.’
- ‘The strong anticyclone drifts slowly across the sub-continent during the weekend.’
- ‘He created the term anticyclone and pointed out its importance in weather forecasting.’
- ‘These anticyclones diverted rain-bearing frontal systems away from the country for much of the time and as a result it was a dry but cloudy month everywhere.’
- ‘Such wind systems indicate the regular passage of the anticyclones well to the south of the sub-continent.’
- ‘In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.’
- ‘Institute scientist Jim Salinger said the fine, settled winter weather was caused by more anticyclones than usual across northern New Zealand.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.