One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antagonistic association between two organisms (especially microorganisms), in which one is adversely affected.Compare with symbiosis
- ‘The types of resistance bred into resistant hybrids are ‘tolerance’ and ‘antibiosis.’’
- ‘The plates were incubated at 28°C and observed for antibiosis after 24 hours in case of yeasts and 96 hours in case of moulds.’
- ‘An example of this process, called antibiosis, is provided by marigold roots, which release chemicals that are toxic to several species of fungi.’
- ‘Antibiosis is often caused by the production of toxic chemicals by the plant.’
- ‘The direct mechanisms involved in this protective effect include competition, antibiosis, and mycoparasitism.’
Late 19th century: from anti- + a shortened form of symbiosis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.