Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
For use against enemy tanks.‘new anti-tank missiles’
- ‘The gunmen displayed assault rifles, grenades, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and homemade anti-tank missiles.’
- ‘The army said soldiers fired in response to an anti-tank missile and several firebombs.’
- ‘He remembered how he had watched as the first anti-tank missile impacted on his commander's tank, quickly followed by many others.’
- ‘There are a total of four different weapons at your disposal: a machine gun, an anti-tank weapon, missiles and a pistol.’
- ‘Armed with anti-tank missiles, they can be used for assassinations and attacks.’
- ‘If it is an anti-tank missile, you have a second or two to kill him before he kills you.’
- ‘That's assuming that the helicopters are equipped only with anti-tank missiles and crossbows.’
- ‘And then, 10 anti-tank missiles are fired into the house, causing massive damage.’
- ‘You have a limited number of machine gun and pistol bullets, and even fewer missiles and anti-tank rounds.’
- ‘But it is believed the arms haul includes anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles.’
- ‘Kevlar panels protects the occupants from close threats like rocket-propelled grenades and anti-tank guided missiles.’
- ‘The military said troops fired at two armed men, one aiming an anti-tank missile.’
- ‘This will not be solved by snipers or by anti-tank missiles from helicopters.’
- ‘Lite can be used as a hand-held system, fitted to weapons such as machine guns, or used as a tracker for anti-aircraft or anti-tank missile firing posts.’
- ‘The four deaths were all as a result of firing anti-tank missiles!’
- ‘It uses electrically charged plating to vaporise anti-tank missiles before they can penetrate the rest of the armour.’
- ‘Approaches were obstructed by anti-tank and anti-personnel mines and barbed wire, and covered by anti-tank guns and machine-guns.’
- ‘Tanks often spend time fighting each other, and their sights work much like the sights used to target and guide anti-tank missiles.’
- ‘What is the difference between an anti-ship missile and an anti-tank missile?’
- ‘Motorized rifle subunits are reinforced with tanks and anti-tank and obstacle clearing assets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.