Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Prejudiced against or opposed to homosexuality or homosexuals.
biased, bigoted, discriminatory, partisan, partial, one-sided, jaundiced, intolerant, narrow-minded, unfair, unjust, inequitable, non-objective, unobjective, blinkered, parti pris, coloured, distorted, warped, loaded, weightedView synonyms
- ‘The teachers I know do oppose anti gay bullying, as they would any other kind, though.’
- ‘It is completely anti gay.’
- ‘That year, incidents characterized by the group as anti gay violence ranging from verbal harassment to murder jumped 30 percent over 2003.’
- ‘So it's not about being pro or anti gay.’
- ‘As you may know, this is still a very homophobic society and lots of our DJs make songs with anti gay lyrics.’
- ‘It is conspicuously anti-gay and anti-Semitic, and has gone out of its way to earn contempt around the country by picketing the funerals of soldiers and Marines killed in combat.’
- ‘And he had a completely antigay record in Texas.’
- ‘Most or all its public figures were openly anti-gay.’
- ‘He got put on the ballot in Oregon temporarily by catering to a virulently anti-gay right-wing group.’
- ‘Even fewer seemed interested in why a gay man would ever work for a seemingly antigay politician.’
- ‘She has been wonderful to her son and she at one time was anti gay.’
- ‘However, I was dismayed to see the lurid anti gay comments from one of the managing directors printed in your paper.’
- ‘The religious anti gay activists said the gay pride event has prompted new dialogue between them that extends to a broader discussion of religion and politics.’
- ‘His voting record was uniformly anti-gay.’
- ‘The regime has also been ferociously anti-gay.’
- ‘Even the anti-gay congressional hearings managed to communicate that many gays and lesbians want to marry their partners, join the mainstream and be fellow citizens.’
- ‘She said she did not kick Craig or use anti gay slurs.’
- ‘His opponents said he was the "most anti-gay federal judicial nominee in memory."’
- ‘If you're anti-gay, you might want to stay away.’
- ‘The Pink Panther Patrol began in New York City in the 1980s as a community patrol to stop anti gay violence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.