Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Designed to eradicate or prevent dishonest or fraudulent conduct, especially in a political context.‘an anti-corruption campaign’
moral, ethical, good, virtuous, righteous, upright, upstanding, high-minded, right-minded, proper, correct, honourable, honest, just, noble, incorruptible, anti-corruption, scrupulous, conscientious, respectable, decentView synonyms
- ‘Incidentally, the analogy holds good also for anti-corruption work done by premier enforcement agencies.’
- ‘It is hoped the draft being submitted today will make for an anti-corruption administration free of such potential problems.’
- ‘We are setting up an anti-corruption hotline to protect whistleblowers.’
- ‘The State's anti-corruption law, which has proved ineffective in dealing with the cases of administrative corruption, has yet be reoriented.’
- ‘Ukraine's "orange revolution" was supposed to be an anti-corruption crusade.’
- ‘Two Jamaican officers in the murder investigation team have been attached to the ICC's anti-corruption unit.’
- ‘In other words, ombudsmen were never set up to be anti-corruption commissions.’
- ‘One of his last jobs was to take part in an anti-corruption unit inside the Russian security services.’
- ‘The bill also creates an anti-corruption commission with strong enforcement powers.’
- ‘It said public confidence in anti-corruption efforts stood at just 51.9 percent last year.’
- ‘Institutional improvements recently implemented include the creation of an anticorruption commission.’
- ‘The forum is also a member of the anti-corruption coalition of Armenia.’
- ‘You need four things to have an effective anticorruption strategy.’
- ‘The creation of such a paper trail that can be independently scrutinized is clearly a key anticorruption development.’
- ‘The official is the latest of a string of victims to lose their jobs following an anti-corruption campaign.’
- ‘This depends greatly on the degree of political support for anti-corruption work.’
- ‘Additionally, 12 cases of corruption against her are still pending in the anti-corruption courts.’
- ‘On Friday, the President is scheduled to attend an informal meeting on the plan to launch an anticorruption campaign.’
- ‘The failure to provide witness protection has seriously hampered the effective implementation of the anticorruption drive.’
- ‘The anti-corruption cell of the district police was asked to investigate the matter.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.