Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Opposed to capitalism.
left-wing, fabian, syndicalist, utopian socialistView synonyms
- ‘The play, of course, was an adaptation of John Gay's The Beggar's Opera, cunningly modernized into an anti-capitalist satire.’
- ‘In August an astonishing 300,000 people joined an anti-capitalist festival at Larzac in the south of France.’
- ‘The anti-capitalist movement marks the emergence of a new generation of politically thinking youth.’
- ‘Now there are three major anti-capitalist events coming up.’
- ‘Even the anti-capitalist movement shies away from the idea of revolution.’
- ‘Johannesburg was an important stage in the development of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘This is part of the legacy for the present new wave of anti-war anti-capitalist radicalisation.’
- ‘The anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist nature of the current movement means we are starting from a much higher political level.’
- ‘Such a movement will need to take an anti-capitalist direction.’
- ‘There's an interesting anti-capitalist thread running throughout the film.’
- ‘The G8 summit takes place this month in the Canadian Rockies, specially chosen to avoid anti-capitalist protesters.’
- ‘In Seattle at the very end of the 20th century a new anti-capitalist movement was born.’
- ‘Both gained popularity on an anti-capitalist ticket following the financial crisis.’
- ‘They played a free gig for anti-capitalist protesters at the European Union summit.’
- ‘The world elite is becoming more scared of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘The lions at the base of Nelson's Column sported the latest anti-capitalist graffiti.’
- ‘The last period has seem massive movements of young people develop in the form of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘For the third year running, anti-capitalist youth have teamed up with local unions for May Day demonstrations in downtown Minneapolis.’
- ‘Commentators declared the anti-capitalist movement dead at the start of the year.’
- ‘Police are preparing to meet the threat posed by anti-capitalist protestors in London on 1 May by monitoring their evolving plans on the Internet.’
A person who is opposed to capitalism.
- ‘Tony Blair urged fellow EU leaders yesterday not to yield in future confrontations with anti-capitalists who disrupted their Gothenburg summit.’
- ‘Instead the vast majority of anti-capitalists became part of the anti-war mobilisations.’
- ‘He doesn't sound hopeful, pointing out that the Prague anti-capitalists, for all their passion, are a small group of agitators.’
- ‘In the meantime, any self respecting anti-capitalist could do worse than trying to catch this play.’
- ‘In turn, the anti-war movement strengthened the anti-capitalists.’
- ‘And I doubt whether the government feels threatened by fascists in the way it feels threatened by anti-capitalists.’
- ‘The other involved 50,000 anti-capitalists who marched to where the summit was held.’
- ‘The task of anti-capitalists is rather to work towards separating national liberation from nationalism.’
- ‘Each total is almost twice the entire number of anti-capitalists who turned up to the London Mayday event.’
- ‘And anti-capitalists, pro-democracy groups, students, parents and others are planning to take to the streets in a mass, peaceful protest.’
- ‘They offer models of 'global unionism' for trade unionists and anti-capitalists everywhere.’
- ‘Workers and anti-capitalists in struggle must educate and develop stewards, witnesses, legal expertise and our own media.’
- ‘For example, saying that you hate capitalism is a powerful credential indicator to another anti-capitalist.’
- ‘Any serious anti-capitalist who wants to act within really existing social relations cannot neglect the national movement.’
- ‘Workers in Rotterdam harbour had struck for 24 hours, and young anti-capitalists pulled down a mock statue of the prime minister.’
- ‘In fact, the younger Packer seems to have been neither a dedicated anticapitalist nor an uncritical advocate of the welfare state.’
- ‘Indeed, she has pinned a large portrait of the anti-capitalist on her living room wall.’
- ‘But he fails to acknowledge the equally unreasonable scorn heaped on the anti-capitalists' ideas by conventional politicians.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that the movement against sweatshops is usually led by anti-capitalists.’
- ‘It's strange me being a sleeping anti-capitalist working in a business that is all based on money.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.