One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Opposed to a policy or system of apartheid.
- ‘This potential was not realized in the way many anti-apartheid activists had hoped, although in some local organizations it came close.’
- ‘I started going on CND and anti-apartheid demonstrations and bought Socialist Worker for the first time.’
- ‘There are images of May Day rallies and anti-fascist protests, anti-apartheid protests and peace rallies.’
- ‘The problem is, there needs to be apartheid to start an anti-apartheid movement.’
- ‘He was an infant when Jesse Jackson ran for president and during the anti-apartheid mobilizations of the late 1980s.’
- ‘He was active in the anti-apartheid struggle and became head of the Nelson Mandela Foundation in South Africa.’
- ‘Those roles included being a family man, an anti-apartheid activist, a loyal friend, financial adviser and a businessman.’
- ‘There are rightly many comparisons made with South African apartheid, particularly the international anti-apartheid campaigns.’
- ‘He rejected the idea of an all-out socialist economic system since his days as an anti-apartheid freedom fighter.’
- ‘They were taking part in a peaceful commemoration of the Soweto anti-apartheid uprising in South Africa in 1976.’
- ‘The black population, I think it is fair to say, regarded all anti-apartheid activity with approval, but not with a great deal of confidence.’
- ‘He was an anti-apartheid activist from an early age.’
- ‘It didn't stop CND and anti-apartheid being huge movements.’
- ‘As often in death, his image has been reworked from apartheid collaborator to anti-apartheid freedom fighter.’
- ‘This was simply because several members of the club were intending to join a tour to South Africa which would, in the council's view, be contrary to its anti-apartheid policy.’
- ‘She had always been a rebel, turning out for CND and anti-apartheid marches; the hijab was her answer to the values of the fashion industry she had grown up with.’
- ‘Christopher was on his way home from school when he was caught up in the start of the 1976 anti-apartheid uprising in Cape Town.’
- ‘She was Lisa Williamson, the anti-apartheid and antiracist activist who was one of the most visible student leaders of the day.’
- ‘It was started by a number of us who were involved in the Palestine solidarity movement in South Africa and who have been anti-apartheid activists in the past.’
- ‘Student activists have incorporated civil disobedience in both their anti-apartheid and Central America work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.