Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Opposed to; against.‘anti-aircraft’
- 1.1 Preventing.‘antibacterial’
- 1.2 Relieving.‘antipruritic’
- 1.3 The opposite of.‘anticlimax’dissenting, dissident, disagreeing, differing, discordant, contradicting, contrary, negative, anti-View synonyms
- 1.4 Acting as a rival.‘antipope’
- 1.5 Unlike the conventional form.‘anti-hero’
- 1.1 Preventing.
The antiparticle of a specified particle.‘antiproton’
From Greek anti ‘against’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.