Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A formal educational, therapeutic, and creative system established by Rudolf Steiner, seeking to use mainly natural means to optimize physical and mental health and well-being.
- ‘Eurythmy is a dance style inaugurated by Rudolf Steiner, the founder of anthroposophy in the 1910s and 20s.’
- ‘He became interested in anthroposophy, a practice similar to homeopathy, created by Rudolph Steiner.’
- ‘Rudolf Steiner, who founded anthroposophy, recognised him as an authentic spiritual master incarnated on the earth.’
- ‘In 1916 he returned to Russia, and after the revolution he engaged in teaching both literature and anthroposophy.’
- ‘They apply his concept of anthroposophy to schools, saying education must address a child's spiritual, physical, numeracy and literacy development.’
Early 20th century: from anthropo- + Greek sophia ‘wisdom’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.