One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The study of human societies and cultures and their development.
- ‘Ethnography is a research approach that developed in anthropology to study cultural groups and that has more recently been used to study small-group culture.’
- ‘His expedition was less a holiday than an exercise in comparative anthropology, since he wanted to examine the differences between American and Australian myths.’
- ‘So he studied anthropology, inquisitive about human societies and their desires and needs.’
- ‘Before proceeding, it is important to examine the theoretical developments in anthropology on the politics of reproduction.’
- ‘Comparative studies declined and anthropology shifted to universities.’
- ‘As noted above, Australian anthropology incorporates a long tradition of research on Aboriginal societies and on societies in Southeast Asia and the Pacific.’
- 1.1 The study of human biological and physiological characteristics and their evolution.Also called physical anthropology
- ‘Another important area that will be influenced is anthropology, evolution and human migration.’
- ‘The new Cartesianism of cognitive science and biological anthropology provide some contemporary exemplars.’
- ‘Terrence Deacon works at the interface between neurobiology, developmental biology and biological anthropology.’
- ‘It provides a solid underpinning of evolutionary biology for those who want to explore ecology, anthropology and social evolution anywhere on earth.’
- ‘He has no more training in fields relevant to evolution - biology, paleontology, anthropology, geology, etc - than I or most other people do.’
- ‘The categories and relations of evolutionist theory in anthropology expressed deeply held values.’
- ‘On the contrary, his assessment of the economic origins of human evolution relies heavily on literature, data and facts from anthropology, biology and other natural sciences.’
- ‘Ecological anthropology has a long and distinguished history in Papua New Guinea.’
- ‘Since the 1990s, ecological anthropology has incorporated a political dimension into ecological analysis.’
- ‘The new ecology movement in anthropology relates to a deeper understanding of the relationship of technology and social organization to the environment.’
- ‘I studied plants and plant evolution for the last six to seven years in the states and was in charge of science at the museum, mainly anthropology and zoology.’
- ‘He is a little too fond of building huge abstract entities on the back of discoveries from anthropology, zoology and neuroscience.’
- ‘Within ecological anthropology there were also critiques of an overemphasis on bounded local analyses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.