Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the current geological age, viewed as the period during which human activity has been the dominant influence on climate and the environment.
- ‘Human impact on climate has made this the "Anthropocene Age."’
- ‘In the Anthropocene era, freshwater will be in different places where it exists at all.’
- ‘The idea that we have already entered an Anthropocene Era exaggerates our impact on the Earth.’
- ‘The Earth has entered the so-called Anthropocene Erathe geological era in which humans are a significant and sometimes dominating environmental force.’
- ‘Well, if we bring extinction events closer to home, there is our very own omnipresent, continually unfolding, late Holocene (or early Anthropocene, according to some) extinction event.’
- 1.1The Anthropocene period.
Early 21st century: from anthropo-, on the pattern of Holocene, Pleistocene, etc..
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.