One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mainly fungal disease of plants, causing dark lesions.
- ‘Other diseases include rust, crown gall, anthracnose and petal blight.’
- ‘If anthracnose becomes a problem, spray the plants with lime-sulfur solution at budbreak and, if needed, during the growing season.’
- ‘In dry edible beans, anthracnose causes unsightly cankers on plant stems, pods, and seeds.’
- ‘We also developed heat-tolerant Chinese cabbage, and peppers resistant to the major tropical disease anthracnose.’
- ‘Diseases such as anthracnose, spur blight, and mildew may be more prevalent if irrigation is not accompanied by adequate disease-control measures.’
Late 19th century: coined in French from Greek anthrax, anthrak- ‘coal’ + nosos ‘disease’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.