Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of a large class of marine coelenterates (the Anthozoa), such as a sea anemone or coral.
- ‘In addition to their relevance as model organisms for understanding metazoan evolution, anthozoans are ecologically important.’
- ‘An anthozoan individual has a saclike body divided by radial partitions known as septa; these septa can easily be seen in corals, and their arrangement is an important character for classification.’
- ‘These anthozoans resemble stony corals but lack skeletons.’
- ‘The oldest anthozoans are probably some of the polyp-like and sea pen-like fossils from the Vendian (late Precambrian).’
- ‘Most symbiotic anthozoans live in nutrient-poor tropical waters.’
Relating to or denoting anthozoans.
- ‘GnRH immunoreactivity has also been identified in two anthozoan species: the sea pansy, Renilla koellikeri, and the sea anemone, Nematostella vectensis.’
- ‘Anthozoan polyps reproduce both sexually and asexually.’
- ‘The origin of such symmetry is not related to the basic anthozoan body plan.’
- ‘Anthozoan life cycles are therefore simpler and their evolution centers on the presence or absence of clonality and the development of polymorphism of polyps in colonial forms.’
- ‘Additional evidence for a role for estrogen in anthozoan reproduction comes from measurements of estrogen release into seawater prior to or during spawning events.’
- ‘The main anthozoan subclass, which includes the corals, is the Zoantharia.’
- ‘Anthozoan cnidarians.-In at least two papers, workers have postulated an affinity between stromatoporoids and corals.’
- ‘When Wotton in 1552 gave to anthozoan corals and gorgonians, and hydrozoans the name Zoophyte, it was because of their morphological similarity to higher plants.’
- ‘For example, the widely employed anthozoan red fluorescent protein drFP583 (commercially available as DsRed) can be utilized as an "optical highlighter" in live mammalian cells.’
- ‘By contrast, Anthox - 2 (the Cnox - 2 anthozoan homolog) is expressed in the oral region of the anthozoan polyps Acropora and Nematostella.’
- ‘Bilaterality.-All anthozoan groups, including both the Rugosa and the Scleractinia, are distinguished by an essentially bilateral organization.’
- ‘Therefore, the anthozoan / dinoflagellate association possesses a CCM, including inducible host CA in proportion to the density of zooxanthellae.’
- ‘Although we cannot completely exclude a nonbiological or nonmetazoan origin, we identified what appear to be modern cnidarian developmental stages, including both anthozoan planula larvae and hydrozoan embryos.’
- ‘One of the basic issues regarding the evolution of anthozoan colors that can be addressed at the present state of knowledge is the basis of intraspecific color variation.’
- ‘Anthozoan cnidarians lack the medusoid lifestage found in other Cnidaria.’
- ‘There are three known cases of independent evolution of a nonfluorescent color: in Hydrozoa and within anthozoan clades A and B.’
- ‘It has been proposed that the most recent common ancestor between cnidarians and bilaterians would have been morphologically similar to a pennatulacean anthozoan.’
- ‘Anthozoans are readily available on coral reefs therefore it's not surprising that anthozoan tissue is their main diet.’
- ‘(A) Oblique section of a possible fossil anthozoan planula.’
- ‘The chaetetids compose a small group of organisms that was most often presumed to be among the anthozoan corals, more specifically allied to the Tabulata.’
- ‘It is not homologous with the bilaterality of body plans characteristic of anthozoan groups.’
- ‘This complicated bilayered structure is typical of anthozoan late planula larvae.’
- ‘(B) Schematic view of a transverse section of the late planula of the anthozoan Euphyllia rugosa.’
- ‘For example, colonial anthozoan cnidarians, in particular the Pennatulacea or "sea pens" are quite capable of moving, defouling themselves, and burrowing both upwards and downwards.’
- ‘The life cycles of the hydrozoans P. carnea (B) and Hydractinia echinata (C) and a representative anthozoan (D).’
- ‘The presence of a Ca 2 + dependent NOS-like enzyme was also demonstrated in biochemical experiments on both Hydra and an anthozoan Aiptasia.’
- ‘Together these studies indicate the sex steroids are likely to play a role in regulating anthozoan gametogenesis and/or spawning.’
- ‘If skeletogenesis in Scleractinia is proved to be "reversible," we should reconstruct anthozoan taxonomy itself as a beginning, without distinguishing corals from soft-bodied anemones.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.