One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The flowering period of a plant, from the opening of the flower bud.
- ‘In an individual flower, anthesis starts at the end of the day and by the time the bats start feeding, there is copious pollen.’
- ‘In principal, the length of flower anthesis depends on pollination and removal of the pollinium.’
- ‘Anthers were isolated from flowers at anthesis and pollen grains were collected.’
- ‘On the day of anthesis, unopened flowers and flowers that had opened on previous days were removed from each branch.’
- ‘In the field the plants displayed many flowers at full anthesis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek anthēsis ‘flowering’, from anthein ‘to blossom’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.