One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for spermatozoid
- ‘On their release from the antheridia, the antherozoids must then swim through surface water to fertilize neighbouring egg cells.’
- ‘The egg cells and antherozoids are collectively known as gametes, and the generation of the moss plant that bears them is known as a gametophyte.’
- ‘Numerous antherozoids are produced in the antheridia and they swim through the covering film of water to reach the archegonia, each of which contains a single egg cell.’
- ‘When the egg has matured, these canal cells disintegrate to mucus, making way for the antherozoids.’
- ‘At maturity, the antheridium bursts releasing the sperm cells or antherozoids.’
Mid 19th century: from anther + zooid.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.