Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a song) like an anthem in being rousing or uplifting.‘a set of anthemic folk songs’
exciting, stirring, action-packed, sensational, spectacular, startling, unexpected, tense, suspenseful, rip-roaring, gripping, riveting, fascinating, thrilling, hair-raising, rousing, lively, animated, spirited, electrifying, impassioned, emotive, emotional, emotion-charged, moving, soul-stirring, powerful, headyView synonyms
- ‘It's not unique or massively challenging but contains all the pounding riffs, anthemic choruses and tempo changes that your average enthusiast could ever want.’
- ‘But for as much pessimism as he ladles out, there are equal amounts of anthemic choruses encouraging the listener to hold on, look up, get out.’
- ‘The band are the 103rd artists to record the anthemic ballad.’
- ‘I turned around when the big anthemic tunes came on and it was nothing short of an incredible sight to see the whole place jumping.’
- ‘Their songs were anthemic and had something for everyone.’
- ‘Emotive riffs, inventive chords, anthemic vocals, and tempo changes combine for a truly great, epic song.’
- ‘He sang some great anthemic ballads that the radio hasn't played to death.’
- ‘Does it have anthemic, dramatic hard-rock guitars?’
- ‘I suspect it's because they make some of the most amazing, anthemic, inspiring music around today.’
- ‘The songs vary from mediocre to surprisingly anthemic
- ‘Here the beat is constantly fluttered and redrawn, but somehow held together by the nearly anthemic melodic refrain.’
- ‘As well being politically aware, their music is awash with anthemic, post-punk rhythmic bursts.’
- ‘The album has got some undeniably catchy, anthemic pop tunes.’
- ‘His vocals on the verse are some of his most affecting and emotional yet, while the anthemic chorus provides a break of desperate hope amid the quiet despondency.’
- ‘The track boasts dynamic strings, syncopated beats, and an irresistibly anthemic chorus.’
- ‘This three song EP features two mid-tempo, anthemic rock tunes which instantly found a place in my heart.’
- ‘While he may come across as disaffected and aloof off stage, he and his band are a powerhouse on stage, and have crafted several sensational albums of anthemic songs.’
- ‘It is a disco tune with an anthemic rock chorus.’
- ‘It's a great mix of heavy melodies played with soft distortion resulting in big, anthemic songs that are singable without being too poppy.’
- ‘His songs were rich both lyrically and musically, anthemic and yet intimate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.