One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Last but two in a series; third last.‘the antepenultimate item on the agenda’
- ‘Moreover, in the antepenultimate chapter of the novel, when the narrator reflects on his project, he intimates that he has been writing a novel all along.’
- ‘Afficionados and adepts will recognize the last item as the words of Joel Beinin, the antepenultimate item as the words of Mahatma Gandhi, and the penultimate item as the motto of Faber College in Animal House.’
- ‘West African speakers tend to have antepenultimate word stress.’
- ‘Paradoxically, the sagacious and shrewdly written new column entitled ‘Nightmarch’ is hidden away at the bottom of the antepenultimate page.’
- ‘This, as the copy editor Steve Pickering liked to say, is the antepenultimate paragraph.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.