Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Last but two in a series; third last.‘the antepenultimate item on the agenda’
- ‘Paradoxically, the sagacious and shrewdly written new column entitled ‘Nightmarch’ is hidden away at the bottom of the antepenultimate page.’
- ‘Afficionados and adepts will recognize the last item as the words of Joel Beinin, the antepenultimate item as the words of Mahatma Gandhi, and the penultimate item as the motto of Faber College in Animal House.’
- ‘West African speakers tend to have antepenultimate word stress.’
- ‘Moreover, in the antepenultimate chapter of the novel, when the narrator reflects on his project, he intimates that he has been writing a novel all along.’
- ‘This, as the copy editor Steve Pickering liked to say, is the antepenultimate paragraph.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.