Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Last but two in a series; third last:‘the antepenultimate item on the agenda’
- ‘Afficionados and adepts will recognize the last item as the words of Joel Beinin, the antepenultimate item as the words of Mahatma Gandhi, and the penultimate item as the motto of Faber College in Animal House.’
- ‘Moreover, in the antepenultimate chapter of the novel, when the narrator reflects on his project, he intimates that he has been writing a novel all along.’
- ‘Paradoxically, the sagacious and shrewdly written new column entitled ‘Nightmarch’ is hidden away at the bottom of the antepenultimate page.’
- ‘West African speakers tend to have antepenultimate word stress.’
- ‘This, as the copy editor Steve Pickering liked to say, is the antepenultimate paragraph.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.