One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The last syllable but two in a word, e.g. -ul- in antepenultimate.
- ‘Take a Latin word like attribuitis: the accent falls on the antepenult.’
- ‘The antepenult may be accented only if U is short and may receive only the acute.’
- ‘Stress is placed on the penult if it is long and on the antepenult if the penult is short.’
- ‘The ultima is long, and therefore the antepenult cannot be accented.’
- ‘If the word's ultima is short, the accent will recede to the antepenult and it will always be an acute accent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.