One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The last syllable but two in a word, e.g. -ul- in antepenultimate.
- ‘Take a Latin word like attribuitis: the accent falls on the antepenult.’
- ‘Stress is placed on the penult if it is long and on the antepenult if the penult is short.’
- ‘The ultima is long, and therefore the antepenult cannot be accented.’
- ‘If the word's ultima is short, the accent will recede to the antepenult and it will always be an acute accent.’
- ‘The antepenult may be accented only if U is short and may receive only the acute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.