One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of thrush-sized ant-eating birds.
another term for pitta
an African thrush (genus Neocossyphus).
a large antbird (three genera in the family Formicariidae).
- ‘When the pedestrian falls in with a train of these ants, the first signal given him is a twittering and restless movement of small flocks of plain-coloured birds (ant-thrushes) in the jungle.’
- ‘Antthrushes are notoriously difficult to see well and we're delighted at our luck to have one right on the trail.’
- ‘That's the song of the Rufus Fronted Ant Thrush, a very rare species with a very small range in southwestern South America.’
- ‘In the lofty forests of the lowlands of Costa Rica and Panama, one of the most distinctive bird notes is the mellow, resonant whistle, usually twice repeated, of the ant-thrush.’
- ‘MacArthur studied four species of ant-thrushes in South America and discovered that they used different levels within the vegetation for feeding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.