One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Correspond to a description, especially one of a suspect issued by the police.‘people reported seeing a man who answers the suspect's description behaving suspiciously’
match, fit, correspond to, be similar to, conform to, correlate toView synonyms
- ‘Beat officers were alerted, and asked to look out for any car answering the description of the one in the area at the times reported.’
- ‘Yes, but is there any finding at any stage that, as a matter of general law, Mr Downes' client answered the description of a person who had ‘the right to decide the possession, disposition and use of the vessel’ owned by her husband?’
- ‘One can postulate that a person who is born here, has lived here all their life, has parents who are citizens, may well be a person who could not possibly answer the description of an alien.’
- ‘I have a number of documents in my possession which answer the description of the documents described in the subpoena.’
- ‘He answers the description of the murder suspect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.