Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Correspond to a description, especially one of a suspect issued by the police:‘people reported seeing a man who answers the suspect's description behaving suspiciously’
match, fit, correspond to, be similar to, conform to, correlate toView synonyms
- ‘He answers the description of the murder suspect.’
- ‘I have a number of documents in my possession which answer the description of the documents described in the subpoena.’
- ‘Yes, but is there any finding at any stage that, as a matter of general law, Mr Downes' client answered the description of a person who had ‘the right to decide the possession, disposition and use of the vessel’ owned by her husband?’
- ‘One can postulate that a person who is born here, has lived here all their life, has parents who are citizens, may well be a person who could not possibly answer the description of an alien.’
- ‘Beat officers were alerted, and asked to look out for any car answering the description of the one in the area at the times reported.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.