One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An assumption about the form of an unknown function which is made in order to facilitate solution of an equation or other problem.
- ‘Several arguments contradicting this ansatz are presented below, suggesting instead that for wt-GFP at room temperature the primary role of the Glu - 222 pathway is in the reprotonation direction.’
- ‘The conventional ansatz for the B-state dominance in S65T is that the negative charge on the anionic Glu - 222 prevents wt-Cro ionization in the GS and conversely, the neutral Glu - 222 in the S65T mutant permits its permanent ionization.’
- ‘Using this approximation ansatz, several problems concerning planar rods reduce to elementary geometry, as seen from the following simple but illustrative examples.’
- ‘This observation is harder to rationalize within the conventional ansatz, that Thr - 203 rotates to form the HB to the anion only after ESPT.’
- ‘The well-defined asymmetry in the ÎHL channel G-V curve serves as a test of this ansatz.’
1940s: from German Ansatz ‘approach, attempt’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.