One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An absence of oxygen.
- ‘Lack of oxygen or anoxia is a common environmental challenge which plants have to face throughout their life.’
- ‘Many wetland or riverine species are well-adapted to the low-oxygen conditions which naturally occur in their habitat, and some can tolerate several months of total anoxia.’
- ‘Sugar availability plays an important role in plant tolerance to anoxia.’
- ‘Tolerance to anoxia is relevant to wetland species, rice cultivation and transient waterlogging of agricultural crops.’
- ‘We screened several hundred inbred and exotic maize lines for their tolerance to anoxia.’
- 1.1Medicine An absence or deficiency of oxygen reaching the tissues; severe hypoxia.‘death due to anoxia resulting from strangulation’
- ‘Cold injury is believed to occur due to anoxia resulting from circulatory insufficiency as well as the direct freezing effect of cold on the exposed parts.’
- ‘Deaths and permanent neurological damage from anoxia have occurred when surgeons have unwisely performed immediate consecutive bilateral thoracoscopy rather than two separate operations.’
- ‘He added that these injuries can be very severe because facial injuries received often affect breathing, which leads to anoxia which can result in brain damage.’
- ‘A sufferer of birth anoxia, a lack of oxygen to the brain at birth, people were amazed by how Mr Ryder managed to live life to the full.’
- ‘After cardiac arrest, non-pregnant adults suffer irreversible brain damage from anoxia within three to four minutes, but pregnant women become hypoxic more quickly.’
1930s: from an- + ox(ygen) + -ia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.