Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A year measured between successive perihelia of the earth (approximately 3651/4 days).
- ‘On average, the anomalistic year is about 25 minutes longer than the tropical year, so the date of perihelion slowly shifts over time, regressing by about 1 full day every 58 years.’
- ‘There is also the anomalistic year, although this is even less used than the sidereal year.’
- ‘An anomalistic lunar month is the lunar equivalent to the solar anomalistic year which indicates the passage of the sun around the earth from perigee to perigee.’
- ‘As for those other years, an anomalistic year is about 365.259635 days long.’
- ‘Wherever we begin an anomalistic year the Earth will go through the complete cycle of its varying speeds while completing an ellipse back to the starting position.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.