Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A month measured between successive perigees of the moon (approximately 271/2 days).
- ‘The anomalistic month is the average interval between successive passages of the moon through its perigee.’
- ‘This is the time period over which the Moon-Earth distance is periodic and is known as an anomalistic month.’
- ‘This relation between synodic months and anomalistic months of the Moon was known to Babylonian astronomers, who used it to predict the return of lunar and solar eclipses.’
- ‘The time between consecutive perigees or apogees, the anomalistic month, is 27.56 days.’
- ‘This longer period is called the anomalistic month.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.