One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, mainly arboreal American lizard with a throat fan that (in the male) is typically brightly coloured. Anoles have some ability to change colour.
Genus Anolis, family Iguanidae: numerous species
- ‘Field studies of performance in nature have shown that anoles utilize their maximal sprinting capabilities to escape predators and, to a lesser extent, to capture prey.’
- ‘Just six months later the anoles were almost exclusively tree-dwelling, and longer-legged lizards had died in disproportionate numbers.’
- ‘This behavioral response should force brown anoles to evolve shorter, more nimble limbs in order to survive on the small branches, he said.’
- ‘Trunk-ground anoles possess long hindlimbs that result in high-speed locomotion, but impair movement on narrow perches, presumably because of the difficulty of maintaining the lizard's center of mass directly over the narrow branch.’
- ‘Check out your local pet shop and look into anoles, chameleons, and skinks, among many others.’
Early 18th century: from Carib.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.