Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as adjective anodized
Coat (a metal, especially aluminium) with a protective oxide layer by an electrolytic process in which the metal forms the anode.‘the anodized frames’
cover, coat, overlay, laminate, veneerView synonyms
- ‘Liners are usually made from titanium and can be anodized if desired.’
- ‘Hard coatings exhibit a wear resistance greater than 10 times that of ordinary anodized aluminum.’
- ‘Frames made of steel or aluminum, anodized and sometimes powder-coated, last virtually forever.’
- ‘Another ‘selling point’ of the titanium instrument is that it can be anodised in a variety of different colours - including a rainbow effect.’
- ‘The main wheels have been anodized and put aside for the time being.’
- ‘One of the most common metals that is anodized is aluminum.’
- ‘The best skillets I tested were heavy-gauge metal pans with stainless steel exteriors; they resisted scratches and dents better than either black enamel or anodized aluminum pans.’
- ‘The handle is anodized aluminum and a nylon sheath allows you to tote it easily.’
- ‘It is also suitable for removing paint, ink, anodized coatings, and titanium nitrate.’
- ‘Those produced in brass, anodized aluminum or galvanized iron impart a golden glow or a silvery shiver.’
- ‘They are hard anodized to resist wear, and in place of a primer is an extremely tough material that cushions the firing pin and is said to be good for 3,000 impacts.’
- ‘The top and bottom of the reservoir are made of solid anodized blue aluminium with the exterior made from acrylic in a cylindrical shape.’
- ‘Lock-back knives have almost always been plain and black, but this time the aluminum handles are anodized to a pleasing blue color and tastefully embellished with a little scroll-work.’
- ‘Aluminum pans that are lined with stainless steel or anodized (coated to make them scratch resistant) are also safe.’
- ‘And it's much less sticky than regular anodized aluminum; we fried hamburgers in it all week with no fat, and the burned bits rubbed right off with a sponge.’
- ‘Zinc alloy castings exhibit clean as-cast surfaces which can be anodized, painted, chromated, polished, brushed or plated.’
- ‘These parts are being anodized or plated, and will be painted or powder-coated prior to assembly.’
- ‘It can be anodized in many colors and has low maintenance requirements.’
- ‘Most aluminum used in visible parts of appliances is lacquered or otherwise coated, anodized or painted.’
- ‘In addition, the trailers are anodized, which means they don't have to be acid washed, and come in three different satin colors, including onyx, sterling, and bronze.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.