Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bell, light, or other device that provides information on the state or condition of something by indicating which of several electric circuits has been activated.as modifier ‘the annunciator panel and warning lights’
- ‘Are there other switches and annunciators installed in conjunction with your setup?’
- ‘Multiple sweeps of the cockpit indicated the light had no related emergencies, and since I couldn't reset it, I dismissed it as a bad annunciator panel.’
- ‘We realized something was wrong - too many annunciator lights were on.’
- ‘The annunciator panel showed an overheat caution light, which meant the generator's constant-speed drive assembly had had enough of this flight and was ready to go its own way.’
- ‘From this redesign of the flight mode annunciator displays, he developed a survey to assess pilot preferences.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.