Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The inner and outer tube surfaces are very smooth, without any indication of segmentation, annulation, or collaring.’
- ‘The annulation is weakly developed along the surface opposite to the attached portion.’
- ‘The annulations give the shell a segmented appearance.’
- ‘It is characterized by a very gently tapered, finely laminated conical tube lacking strong transverse annulations.’
- ‘At the same time, both genera have well-developed, multiannulate first antennae, whereas modern branchiopods have dwarfed first antennae without much of annulation or segmentation at all.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.