One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yearly meeting of the members or shareholders of a club, company, or other organization, especially for holding elections and reporting on the year's events.
- ‘The paper reports a final decision will be announced at the Siemens annual general meeting on 27 January.’
- ‘It has also been the subject of discussion at the last two annual general meetings at the club.’
- ‘The agenda will include a review of all matters since the annual general meeting and planning of events for the summer.’
- ‘Past players last year flocked to the annual general meeting to urge the club to return to its roots.’
- ‘That decision may yet be overruled if enough clubs challenge it at the annual general meeting on May 30.’
- ‘That was duly put to the committee and to members at the annual general meeting.’
- ‘Each apartment owner is entitled to a vote at the annual general meeting of the company and decisions are made then on the subject of management.’
- ‘Given the rise in shareholder activism, annual general meetings can be emotional affairs.’
- ‘The next meeting of the guild will be the annual general meeting and will take place on Wednesday May 3.’
- ‘Mr Moore suggested that the committee might try to have future old boys' annual general meetings on or near the same day each year.’
- ‘I'm not sure you need to be 80 or totally mad to attend annual general meetings of shareholders, but it certainly seems to help.’
- ‘Both were unanimously elected at the annual general meeting of the council.’
- ‘Ordinary shareholders will have to cause a rumpus at the annual general meetings to force real accountability and change.’
- ‘Clubs usually have their annual general meetings at this time and also big plans are hatched in the hope of a county title coming their way.’
- ‘The annual general meeting of the club took place in the clubhouse on Friday night last.’
- ‘The draft constitution makes provision for an executive committee to implement decisions taken at annual general meetings and special general meetings.’
- ‘Shareholders will meet on Wednesday for the annual general meeting of troubled high street retailer Woolworths.’
- ‘It will be put in front of shareholders at the annual general meeting, which this May is to be held in Edinburgh.’
- ‘A coach load of Pewsey investors went to the Portman annual general meeting in Bournemouth last year but were not allowed to speak.’
- ‘This is our annual general meeting and we would like to see all members, old and new, attend to discuss the future of the club.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.