Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing irritation or annoyance.‘annoying habits’‘unsolicited calls are annoying’
irritating, infuriating, exasperating, maddening, trying, tiresome, troublesome, bothersome, irksome, vexing, vexatious, galling, provoking, displeasingawkward, difficult, inconvenientaggravating, pesky, cussed, confounded, infernal, pestiferous, plaguy, pestilent, punchableView synonyms
- ‘I got into the very annoying habit of doodling on the back of business cards.’
- ‘About a year ago my body got into the annoying habit of waking up around 5am.’
- ‘The rest of the evening was incident free apart from the argument with the most annoying person in the world, bless him.’
- ‘Let's not mention his annoying habit of emphasising words by putting them in capitals.’
- ‘Seasoned watchers of him will attest to his annoying habit of fading out of games and trying to be too clever at times.’
- ‘Our cat has developed an annoying habit of standing on people's faces during the night.’
- ‘Alex is possibly the most annoying person in the world with his male model cleaning obsessed ways.’
- ‘One has a very annoying habit of trying to speak at the same time as the tutor.’
- ‘Does she ever get really annoying people on the phone and want to tell them to just go ahead and kill themselves?’
- ‘My stepson has an annoying habit of getting up very early for a shower.’
- ‘But we bet if you ask most people they'll tell you that loud, annoying people are much more of a concern.’
- ‘There's about three of them, and they have this annoying habit of telling jokes most of the day.’
- ‘He had an annoying habit of standing at windows when he wanted to intimidate her.’
- ‘Not turning up at events that I've been invited to and therefore annoying people is quite enjoyable.’
- ‘Today Liam was the most annoying person I have ever met in my life.’
- ‘She opened her mouth to say something but Adrian cut her off. It was an annoying habit he had.’
- ‘Restarauteurs and cinema chains have an annoying habit of filling a glass half with Coke and half with ice, no doubt to make it go further.’
- ‘Generally, I am happy with my work and enjoy my job - it just has an annoying habit of interfering with my life!’
- ‘I have this annoying habit of getting a book, reading to about the halfway point and walking away.’
- ‘My family has this annoying habit of wanting to eat three meals a day, plus snacks and drinks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.