Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of annexing something, especially territory.‘the annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany in 1938’
seizure, occupation, invasion, conquest, takeover, appropriation, expropriation, arrogationusurpingView synonyms
- ‘There were senators calling for the conquest and annexation of the whole of Mexico.’
- ‘Conquest and annexation of Zululand was completed only in the 1890s.’
- ‘In Wales the threat of English invasion and annexation did not impose unity.’
- ‘Seemingly the entire world agreed that Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait should be reversed.’
- ‘The annexation of Eritrea by Ethiopia in 1962 started off a bitter 30-year war of independence.’
- ‘Only a small part of the conquered territories suffered outright annexation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.