One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of annexing something, especially territory.‘the annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany in 1938’
seizure, occupation, invasion, conquest, takeover, appropriation, expropriation, arrogationView synonyms
- ‘Seemingly the entire world agreed that Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait should be reversed.’
- ‘Conquest and annexation of Zululand was completed only in the 1890s.’
- ‘In Wales the threat of English invasion and annexation did not impose unity.’
- ‘There were senators calling for the conquest and annexation of the whole of Mexico.’
- ‘Only a small part of the conquered territories suffered outright annexation.’
- ‘The annexation of Eritrea by Ethiopia in 1962 started off a bitter 30-year war of independence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.