One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American hummingbird which lives chiefly in California. The male has an iridescent rose-red head and throat.
Calypte anna, family Trochilidae
- ‘You can also see more widely ranging North American hummingbird species such as the black-chinned, broad-tailed, rufous, calliope, Costa's, Allen's, and Anna's hummingbirds in this region.’
- ‘The Anna's Hummingbird is a medium-sized hummingbird with a relatively short, straight bill and a long sloping forehead.’
- ‘The Anna's Hummingbird feeds on a large variety of flowers as well as insects and spiders.’
- ‘Anna's Hummingbirds (Calypte anna) are probably the most common species of hummingbird found at our Tucson hummingbird feeders during the winter.’
- ‘Along the Pacific Coast, the large Anna's hummingbird may be found, as well as Allen's, black-chinned, broad-tailed, calliope, Costa's, and rufous hummingbirds.’
- ‘Male Anna's hummingbirds raised in isolation produce much simpler songs than do wild males.’
Mid 19th century: named after Anna, the wife of Prince François Massena ( c 1795–1863), Duc de Ravoli, who obtained the original specimen.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.