One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal stiffening and immobility of a joint due to fusion of the bones.
- ‘There was ankylosis of both sacroiliac joints.’
- ‘Spondylitis means inflammation of the spine, and ankylosis means that a joint has become fixed solid so that it cannot bend.’
- ‘Pain relief and frequent passive movements prevent contractures and joint ankylosis.’
- ‘Only erosive osteoarthritis has erosions and ankylosis.’
- ‘X-rays taken on March 20 showed that Peltier suffered from ankylosis on both sides of his mandible, meaning that his jaw was completely frozen and immobile.’
- ‘This condition, known as TMJ ankylosis, needs to be identified and corrected in childhood to restore jaw function and facial harmony.’
Early 18th century: from Greek ankulōsis, from ankuloun ‘to crook’, from ankulos ‘crooked’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.