One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A goad for elephants.
prod, spiked stick, spike, staff, crook, pole, rodView synonyms
- ‘This ankus is over 100 years old and has been made from steel and brass.’
- ‘The front legs were tightly hobbled and the back legs chained in a stretched position, unable to lie down, and deprived of adequate water and nutrition, beaten repeatedly with rubber whips and ankuses.’
- ‘The records also detail what Finnegan found during one of the zoo's darkest chapters, when one keeper reported in April 2000 that a colleague had abused Rose-Tu with an ankus.’
- ‘She called the ankus ‘an elephant management tool that has been in use for thousands of years.’’
- ‘These charges do not seem to have deterred Oregon Zoo keepers from aggressive ankus use, as ankus wounds were identified on at least 3 elephants for several years following these charges.’
- ‘Training for these performances often requires the use of whips, tight collars, electric prods and other shocking devices, ankuses, sticks, axe handles, baseball bats, metal pipes, and other tools.’
- ‘Ort-Mabry, the spokeswoman for Ringling, insisted that the ankus is a time-tested and appropriate training tool.’
- ‘Bessie has white circular inactive ankus scars under her chin, on the neck, and dorsal areas.’
- ‘We have come to realize that controlling elephants through domination and the use of ankuses (sharply pointed devices used to inflict pain) can no longer be justified.’
- ‘The ankus is embedded into elephants’ most sensitive areas, such as around the feet, behind the ears, under the chin, inside the mouth, and other locations around the face.’
- ‘Ringling Bros. says the ankus, or bull hook, is used to guide elephants like a leash or a set of reins, not to cause pain or discomfort as activists insist.’
- ‘The ankus is sometimes used for beating; it is always used to assert dominance and the threat of punishment.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit aṅkuśa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.