One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An ornament worn round an ankle.
- ‘Gold bracelets, anklets, and armlets were adorned with carnelian and lapis lazuli, covering my arms and legs, and I feared for a moment I wouldn't be able to walk upright for the weight.’
- ‘One can pick rings, pendants, anklets and bracelets - all in sterling silver here.’
- ‘I move back over to my dresser and find my spiked jewelry and put on as much as I can fit: bracelets, anklets, chokers, and a belt.’
- ‘The styles vary from the traditional, the tribal, the contemporary, the designer and the exotic in a range that comprises rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, pendants, anklets and coordinated sets.’
- ‘He wore a simple loincloth and more than a dozen bracelets, anklets and other assorted jewellery.’
- ‘He wore matching amethyst earrings, bracelets, anklets and various other types of jewellery, as well as having fixed one in his navel, and on his forehead as a bindi.’
- ‘Much of Miss Beningson's collection beautifully wrought anklets, earrings, necklaces, jewelled crowns - comes from south India.’
- ‘She also wears many bracelets, anklets, and necklaces.’
- ‘She then donned the bracelets and anklets, clasped the necklace about her shoulders and the wrapped the girdle about her waist, fastening it with the knot of Auset.’
- ‘I spotted some necklaces, bracelets and anklets that were actually worth looking at.’
- ‘Like most classical dancers, they were heavily made-up, brightly costumed, and adorned with bangles, bell anklets, earrings, and rings.’
- ‘Gold-plated jewellery, silver ornaments, including anklets, earrings, necklaces and bangles studded with Hyderabad pearls were available.’
- ‘This is worn with a variety of necklaces, bracelets, anklets, rings, and other ornaments.’
- ‘The dancers wear anklets, bracelets, necklaces, and colorful sashes with streamers.’
- ‘Every afternoon conchero dancers wearing feathered headdresses and shell anklets and bracelets gather in the main square to remind everyone of the country's Aztec heritage.’
- ‘Wonderfully crafted bangles, necklaces, anklets and earrings are star attractions.’
- ‘The fashion house evoked the tropical island look with elegance in its latest collection of earrings necklaces, trinkets and anklets.’
- ‘Those friendly traditional artisans, who designed all the rings, pendants, necklaces and anklets for the brides-to-be, are still in business all over town.’
- ‘Necklaces, rings, bracelets, anklets, chokers, earrings, and some articles I couldn't have begun to guess at dazzled my vision.’
- ‘Upper and lower garments were worn and the body was ornamented with bracelets, anklets, necklaces, and earrings.’
2North American An ankle sock.
- ‘I was inspired to knit anklet socks by the gorgeous yarn.’
- ‘Often called tennis socks because of their shorter length, these Wick Anklet Socks are great for all types of indoor and outdoor warm-weather sports.’
- ‘You owned a lot of fluoro-coloured anklet socks, mostly lime green, hot pink and fluoro-yellow.’
- ‘We can produce anklet socks according to your requirements.’
- ‘I like to wear pretty ribbons in my hair and love lacy anklet socks and ruffles on my panties.’
- ‘They also purchased anklet socks for guys.’
Early 19th century: from ankle + -let, on the pattern of bracelet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.