Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An ornament worn round an ankle.
- ‘She also wears many bracelets, anklets, and necklaces.’
- ‘The styles vary from the traditional, the tribal, the contemporary, the designer and the exotic in a range that comprises rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, pendants, anklets and coordinated sets.’
- ‘He wore a simple loincloth and more than a dozen bracelets, anklets and other assorted jewellery.’
- ‘Necklaces, rings, bracelets, anklets, chokers, earrings, and some articles I couldn't have begun to guess at dazzled my vision.’
- ‘She then donned the bracelets and anklets, clasped the necklace about her shoulders and the wrapped the girdle about her waist, fastening it with the knot of Auset.’
- ‘Wonderfully crafted bangles, necklaces, anklets and earrings are star attractions.’
- ‘The dancers wear anklets, bracelets, necklaces, and colorful sashes with streamers.’
- ‘He wore matching amethyst earrings, bracelets, anklets and various other types of jewellery, as well as having fixed one in his navel, and on his forehead as a bindi.’
- ‘Every afternoon conchero dancers wearing feathered headdresses and shell anklets and bracelets gather in the main square to remind everyone of the country's Aztec heritage.’
- ‘Gold bracelets, anklets, and armlets were adorned with carnelian and lapis lazuli, covering my arms and legs, and I feared for a moment I wouldn't be able to walk upright for the weight.’
- ‘Upper and lower garments were worn and the body was ornamented with bracelets, anklets, necklaces, and earrings.’
- ‘I spotted some necklaces, bracelets and anklets that were actually worth looking at.’
- ‘Those friendly traditional artisans, who designed all the rings, pendants, necklaces and anklets for the brides-to-be, are still in business all over town.’
- ‘The fashion house evoked the tropical island look with elegance in its latest collection of earrings necklaces, trinkets and anklets.’
- ‘Like most classical dancers, they were heavily made-up, brightly costumed, and adorned with bangles, bell anklets, earrings, and rings.’
- ‘Gold-plated jewellery, silver ornaments, including anklets, earrings, necklaces and bangles studded with Hyderabad pearls were available.’
- ‘One can pick rings, pendants, anklets and bracelets - all in sterling silver here.’
- ‘This is worn with a variety of necklaces, bracelets, anklets, rings, and other ornaments.’
- ‘Much of Miss Beningson's collection beautifully wrought anklets, earrings, necklaces, jewelled crowns - comes from south India.’
- ‘I move back over to my dresser and find my spiked jewelry and put on as much as I can fit: bracelets, anklets, chokers, and a belt.’
2North American An ankle sock.
- ‘You owned a lot of fluoro-coloured anklet socks, mostly lime green, hot pink and fluoro-yellow.’
- ‘We can produce anklet socks according to your requirements.’
- ‘Often called tennis socks because of their shorter length, these Wick Anklet Socks are great for all types of indoor and outdoor warm-weather sports.’
- ‘They also purchased anklet socks for guys.’
- ‘I was inspired to knit anklet socks by the gorgeous yarn.’
- ‘I like to wear pretty ribbons in my hair and love lacy anklet socks and ruffles on my panties.’
Early 19th century: from ankle + -let, on the pattern of bracelet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.