One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boot that reaches to or just above the ankle.‘she wore grey skinny jeans and high-heeled ankle boots’
- ‘Rather than the chunky winter boots you're probably used to seeing everywhere during the snowy season, ankle boots are a dressier alternative to traditional winter boots.’
- ‘The orange trouser suit was teamed with her trademark saucy shoes: embellished pointy ankle boots.’
- ‘She pulled on a pair of black lace-up ankle boots that gave her two or three inches of height.’
- ‘The 10,000 pieces - ranging from a black silk dress worn by Queen Victoria to Benjamin Disraeli's wife's ankle boots - were collected by the late George Howard in the 1960s.’
- ‘For a smart casual look, you can don a stylish pair of elongated, pointy ankle boots.’
- ‘This winter's stylish footwear, from ankle boots to sneakers, will have you praying for more days of snowfall.’
- ‘Her ankle boots were a pale brown and were scuffed and scratched up from years of use.’
- ‘One of the most popular looks of the season is the lace-up ankle boot.’
- ‘This season is for boots, ranging from over-the-knee straight leg boots to the new silhouette of cropped ankle boots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.